Student Cultural Exchange Program
STUDENT CULTURAL EXCHANGE PROGRAM TO KASHIWA, JAPAN
Click here for the 2019 Student Exchange Application
Click here to see past exchange videos.
- To provide a student exchange program of cultural and educational experiences with students and families in our sister city, Kashiwa, Japan.
- To promote understanding and friendship between Torrance and Kashiwa.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- Any student currently enrolled in high school who is a sophomore, junior, or senior at the time of applying.
- or, enrolled at the college level, who will not be older than nineteen (19) at the time of the trip.
- The student must be a full time resident full time resident of the City of Torrance.
HOW MANY ARE SELECTED?
- The goal of TSCA is to select a maximum of eight (8) students from Torrance who
demonstrate the maturity to beneﬁt from the experience and who will be creditable representatives of TSCA, the City of Torrance, and the U.S.A.
WHEN AND WHERE DOES THE PROGRAM TAKE PLACE?
- The trip to Japan is about three (3) weeks long, during summer vacation. The date of departure is early July 10, 2018, with the return to Torrance on July 30,, 2019.
- Each student will live with Japanese families while in Kashiwa.
- The trip will also include approximately three (3) days of touring other areas of Japan.
- Torrance exchange students are expected to participate in TSCA activities while the Kashiwa students are in Torrance for two and half (2) weeks during August. Some admission fees for Torrance students to selected activities events will be paid by TSCA.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
- The student's portion of the round trip airfare is $900.
- In addition, students must purchase gifts for their host families in Kashiwa and provide
their own spending money.
WHAT IS THE APPLICATION PROCESS?
- Applications packets are only available online here.
- Send the completed application form with all the necessary attachments to:
The Torrance Sister City Association
3031 Torrance Boulevard., Torrance, CA 90503
Attention: Student Selection Committee
All application forms must be postmarked on or before December 21, 2018.
STUDENT CULTURAL EXCHANGE PROGRAM DETAILS
The 2019 student cultural exchange program with Kashiwa, Japan.
- HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
Torrance and its sister city, Kashiwa, Japan, have had many rewarding civic, educational,
and cultural exchanges since February 20, 1973, when the two cities became affi liated.
Under this program, over the past forty years, the Torrance Sister City Association has
sponsored hundreds of exchange students.
1. At the time of application, the student must be enrolled as a sophomore, junior or senior in high school,
or enrolled full-time in a college or university. (19-year old maximum age at the time of the trip.)
2. The student must be a full-time resident of the City of Torrance.
3. The student must be mature enough to benefi t from the experience and be a creditable representative of
the Torrance Sister City Association, the City of Torrance, and the United States of America.
4. The applicant must be a student in good academic standing at his/her school.
5. The student must be interested in learning about Japanese customs, culture, and
language. This trip is far more than a vacation in a foreign country; it’s a cultural
6. If selected, the student’s family must be able to host a Kashiwa student in their home for 10-12 days
D. EXPECTATIONS OF ALL APPLICANTS
- Each applicant and his/her family are expected to attend an Alumni Reunion potluck luncheon hosted
by the TSCA in January 12, 2019. At this luncheon the applicants and their families will
meet many TSCA members, including former exchange students, and learn more about the student
2. Each applicant and his/her parents will be interviewed by the Student Selection
Committee on Saturday, January 19, 2019, or Saturday, January 26, 2019, beginning at 8 a.m.
3. Each applicant is expected to participate in TSCA scheduled activities during January, February, and
4. Each applicant’s family is required to submit a TSCA family membership application and dues of
$40.00 when the student applies for the Exchange Program. Make check payable to: TSCA
- EXPECTATIONS OF SELECTED STUDENTS
1. Each student and his/her parents must participate in Bunka Sai, a festival of Japanese culture
(the major fund-raising event for TSCA) on April 12, 13 and 14, 2019 (Friday evening,
Saturday and Sunday)
2. Prior to departing for Japan, each student shall attend a minimum of eight orientation meetings which
cover the language, customs, clothing, protocol, etiquette, behavior, etc. in Japan, as well as facts about
the City of Torrance. (If a selected student fails to participate in the TSCA activities or does not attend
Bunka-Sai or the orientation meetings, he/she may be dropped from the program.)
3. Each student shall participate in activities planned for the Kashiwa exchange students visiting Torrance
in August. Admission costs for students to activity events will be paid by TSCA.
4. Each student and his/her parents shall sign an Agreement concerning their obligations, a letter of permission
to participate in the program, and a medical release form.
- FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS
1. The student’s portion of the airfare shall be $900, payable in two checks ($450) at the fi rst and last
2. The TSCA is to provide the balance of the airfare costs and all expenses related to the three-day tour of
other areas in Japan.
3. The student shall provide his/her own spending money during the three-week stay in Japan, as well as
gifts for their host families.
4. The student must possess a current, valid passport at least 60 days before leaving for Japan. If a visa
is also required, the student is responsible for obtaining such visa.
- PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION
1. The TSCA Student Selection Committee will review all applications.
2. The applicants and their families shall attend the Alumni Reunion potluck lunch on
January 12, 2019.
3. The Committee will interview applicants and their parents on Saturday, Saturday, January 19, 2019, and January 26, 2019.
4. On a mutually convenient date after the interview, a committee member(s) will conduct a home visit
interview with each applicant and his/her family, in February 2019.
5. The applicants shall participate in all the scheduled activities during January, February and March.
6. Final selections will be made by the Committee in early March, 2019.
- CRITERIA FOR STUDENT SELECTION
1. A sincere interest in Japanese culture, language and customs.
2. A willingness to participate in TSCA pre-selection activities.
3. Good citizenship.
4. The ability to handle new or stressful situations gracefully.
5. The ability to get along with others and work together.